Monday, November 21, 2011

Books Make It Better ~ Washington's Charity Champions ~ 3,154 books and COUNTING!

3,154 Books and Counting!

 As I sit to reflect on the amazing journey that the Books Make It Better has taken me on, I can't help but feel proud of the wonderful community that I call home.  
 So far, the charity champions in our community have collected over
  3,154 books
 and counting to distribute to those in need.  As I traveled through this amazing adventure, I became aware of other foundations and groups that are doing amazing things in service to others.  They have inspired my family and I to help more, love abundantly, look deeper for those who need, and be thankful for much.

The families and staff from Evergreen Christian School daily filled the Books Make It Better Bins in the school office. 



ECS's mission is to LOVE, PARTNER, TEACH, GUIDE and INSPIRE
The constant flood of books from staff, current students and alumni was a reminder that they strive to fulfill it's mission by helping gather books for the needy and doing much more for the community.  I loved hearing stories from parents of their children going through their bookshelves with the hope of blessing another child.  Those beautiful stories inspired me each day!

The Olympian Newspaper printed a story about the BMIB Books Drive and the community got involved!

http://www.theolympian.com/2011/11/01/1860607/local-educator-is-trying-to-collect.html

Phone calls, emails and book drop offs were a happy daily activity.
From the newspaper article, an angel named Paul stopped by Evergreen Christian School to drop off books and to tell me about a special group of charity champions in Chehalis, named the Lend a Helping Hand Foundation. He told me about this wonderful foundation who had books to donate to the book drive.....a truck full! I didn't understand at the time why he wanted someone from ECS to pick up the books, not another organization. I guess I needed to see for myself what this foundation did for the community.  On Veteran's Day, my kids and I got our van cleaned out and ready and drove to Chehalis ready to pick up books.

Chehalis, Washington
Lend a Helping Hand Foundation was started in 1974 to help families in need.  Its base of operations is in Lewis County, Washington, one of the most economically depressed counties in the state. As people have fallen on hard times, losing their jobs and homes, they have received more calls for help.  They are new serving a much greater area stretching from Thurston County to Cowlitz County, from the Cascades to the coast.

The largest program in the Clara Claus Christmas Program.  Through this program, they provide disabled and disadvantaged children with happy Christmas memories.  These children are given gifts of brand new clothes to last them until the end of the school year, books of their own, toys, and a huge stocking filled with personal products, fun items, and school supplies.  They also try to fulfill special requests such as running shoes for a child involved in Special Olympics.


One of the many "gift" rooms at Lend a Helping Hand Foundation


As Kody, Maddie and I walked through the front doors at the Foundation, our mouths dropped open! We thought we had stepped into Santa's Village.  Room after room was filled with wrapped presents....busy retirees were organizing and wrapping gifts.  The foundation works year round, 12 hours a day and is all volunteer run.  We were immediately enveloped into the love and family of this amazing Foundation.  Our arms were filled with books, boxes loaded to the top with beautiful books and we listened to story after story of the children who benefited from the generosity.

Kody and Maddie loved meeting the ladies and hearing their  life stories.

Seeing my children as they talked with the volunteers, loaded my vans full of books and walked through the rooms of gifts, my heart swelled with pride as they repeated the words, "WOW! This is amazing!" and "I love this!"  I couldn't think of a better day than to spend a life-changing Veteran's Day with the heroes at the Lend a Helping Hand Foundation and my kids.
They will forever hold a special place in my heart and I can't wait to help them as they helped me....by them donating to the book drive, I hope to help build much needed shelves for their three books rooms.....more to come!

I wish I took a photo of my office in the preschool department before the day of "sorting".  I felt like I was in an episode of Hoarders! The wall of books kept growing and usable preschool office space was quickly shrinking.  It was a great "problem" to have.  My 15 year old's job each day after high school was to check the bins at the school and church.  Every day, bins were FILLED and he thought someone was playing a joke on him by filling them so much! We are truly blessed.

The day of sorting was upon us! I enlisted the help of my daughter, Maddie, and her amazing friends after school.  After filling up on pizza and Pepsi, we were ready to take on the mountain of books!

Books were put on tables marked "Birth to five" "Children's Books" "Teens" and "Adults"...we ran out of table space and had to also use the floor.

Maddie, Ashley, Bella and Grace ~ Busy Book Brigade

Taylor helping organize and count the adult books

Piles of books to count
After hours of sorting, counting, piling, boxing and laughing, we were ready to load our vans with boxes of books.  One carload of books traveled to Joint Base Lewis McChord Pediatrics Department.  It was a honor to bless the military families that give so much of their lives to our country. 

My van load headed to the South Sound Reading Foundation in Lacey, Washington.   
In an effort to increase the number of children entering school prepared to learn, read and succeed, the South Sound Reading Foundation exists to ensure that every child is read with 20 minutes a day starting at birth. Reading just 20 minutes a day with young children is the key to healthy brain development, family bonding, and success in school.

Little did I know that their book warehouse was getting low on books going into the holiday season.  They said that we were their "book angels" that they were hoping for! The South Sound Reading Foundation provides books to homeless and needy children.  They believe books provide strength and stability that sets up a child for success in school and life. 

My van was FILLED with books

I pulled my van next to the Book Van and we began to unload our treasures...straight into their van.

I am so excited to partner with the South Sound Reading Foundation again! They are amazing people who love children and are passionate about literacy.


I am still traveling on this amazing journey with Books Make It Better.  I have a special delivery of books to our regional division of Reach Out and Read and teachers at a local school through Evergreen Christian Community's Hands and Feet Community Outreach.

I am also excited to be a part of The Books Make It Better Book Virtual Book Drive.

Help Make a Difference: Join the Books Make It Better “THIRTY BY THANKSGIVING” Challenge!

We are challenging individuals, and businesses, in our communities to step forward in support of children in our communities and make a book donation, or Sponsor a Child. It only takes a few dollars — and a few books — to make a big difference in the life of families in need.  
Did you know that it costs only $50 to sponsor a child for the full 5-year Reach out and Read Program? This includes 2 books per year, physician literacy training, and tools for parents to support reading at home.
TAKE THE BOOKS MAKE IT BETTER CHALLENGE TODAY! Make Your Donation Here and include “Thirty By Thanksgiving” in the Notes section of your donation.


Through the other "supermommas" from Mom Congress, I am excited to hear about what other states are doing with their Book Drive.

 
I am so thankful for this wonderful opportunity and adventure.  I am inspired by the many charity champions in my community, state, nation and the world.  I can't wait to update this blog on the evolution of the Books Make It Better Book Drive in the months to come....I know it has just begun!
"Never worry about numbers.  Help one person at a time, and always start with the person nearest you."  ~Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment