Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Conflict or Bullying??? THAT is the question! Day 2 ~ Anti-Bully Week at ECS


It is Day 2 of Anti-Bully week at Evergreen Christian School.  I have LOVED seeing kids around campus proudly wearing their green COURAGE IN ACTION AT ECS bracelets.


I decided to be a roving reporter, (something I have always wanted to do) and hit the pavement.....recess pavement.  I wanted to talk with kids in action to find out what they thought about this week and the topic of bullying.  

When asked the question, "Have you ever been bullied?" I heard a resounding "YES!!!" from many in the groups.  When bullied, the kids said that they felt....

threatened
mad
sad  

"So.....what has worked?" I asked the kids....

"Telling the bully to stop"      "Teaching them a lesson about not bullying"      "Telling a teacher or adult" 


As the day went on and I talked to more and more children, an interesting pattern revealed itself.  While I heard hurtful stories about bullying, I also was hearing stories about conflict.  This brought up an interesting question......

What is bullying and what is conflict???

What is Bullying?

Childhood Bullying

Bullying is unfair and one-sided. 
It happens when someone keeps hurting, frightening, threatening, or leaving someone out on purpose.

Some examples of bullying during childhood include: 
physical attacks, 
verbal attacks,
name calling,
ignoring, 
ganging up on one child, 
leaving someone out of a game or activity, 
making fun of a child for their differences, 
and more.

Children who bully may be former or current victims of bullying themselves. Both boys and girls use face-to-face and behind-the-back bullying behaviors. Boys tend to use more face-to-face behaviors, while girls tend to use more behind-the-back behaviors. Both are equally harmful to the victim of bullying. 

Bullying commonly increases between the third and seventh grades.


What is Conflict?

It's important to distinguish between bullying and conflict.

Conflict is a disagreement that happens when people want different things. It is a normal part of human interaction. The people involved in a conflict have equal power to solve the problem. They can work it out together. They are not purposely trying to hurt each other. 

Conflict may be uncomfortable but it does not hurt.

As a parent/teacher/student it is important to recognize the difference between conflict and bullying.

_________________________________________________________________

Evergreen Christian School's principal, Cyndi Pollard states that, 


"ECS’s anti-bullying policy gives our students the courage to tell someone that they are being bullied with the confidence that they will get help and equipping to be the help to someone being bullied.
Come to our chapel on Wednesday and learn the difference in conflict and bullying."



I am so glad that the conversation has been started on our campus! Day 2 has brought a confidence to students that they have the courage to stand up against bullying.  When asked what their green COURAGE IN ACTION AT ECS bracelets meant to them, one boy stated, "If I wear it, I know that I am reminded that I won't be bullied."



My hope is that as day 3 moves to day 333, that each child on campus will realize that the COURAGE comes from within.  



My favorite question of the day was, "Are you glad that it is anti-bully week?"  The response was a LOUD and ENTHUSIASTIC YES!



_______________________________________

                                                                         Isaiah 41:10


So do not fear, for I am with you;
   do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
   I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment