Monday, April 11, 2011

How "sweet" today was!

The day to me felt like a delectable bakery...like DC Cupcake.
When you arrive at this beautiful bakery, there is SOOO much to take in. I felt the same way today in MOM CONGRESS...sooo much information to take in.



As I stood in the bakery looking at all of the yummy flavors....
chocolate ganache, red velvet, toffee crunch, chocolate mint,
I quickly realized that I couldn't have them all....
(I know..it's a terrible problem)
I had to admit to myself that I had to choose only a few....
(yes, Maddie, I am bringing one back for you, sweetie!)



All day I listened and wrote pages of notes on ALL the amazing things I wanted to take back with me and put into action.  How could I not after hearing from Jamie Oliver Food Revolution (and eating lunch prepared by his team),




_________________________________________________

 Robin Schepper from "Let's Move"
from the Office of the First Lady,
and others talked about the importance of physical education in schools.  http://www.letsmove.gov/

Another great resource given was:

PLAYWORKS

_______________________________
Other topics were:

rallying parents behind a cause,

early childhood education from a "Kennedy", Mark Shriver, from Save the Children




_________________________________
bullying prevention,
transforming your school into a community hub,
social media and PR,
and curriculum for gifted children.

Whew!!! My head is STILL spinning from the sweet overload of information and connections!



Just like standing at the bakery register telling the cashier the few cupcakes that I had narrowed it down to, in order to be the most effective delegate from MOM CONGRESS, I need to select a few causes that I want to put into action when I return to Washington. 
I would LOVE to be able to be an advocate for all of the causes that were presented, but that wouldn't be the most effective channel for change.  I wish though!

When I say that the presenters today were POWERHOUSES...you couldn't get a more esteemed panel for all of the topics.  It was amazing to watch the delegates around the conference room when a passion was ignited in each of them.  These passions will turn into action to better our children's education.




...and this is only day 2!!! I can't wait to experience the sweet "selection" for tomorrow.  We are starting off with the ULTIMATE dessert, meeting with the U.S. Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan.  I will be rounding out the day of "education dessert" with traveling to the U.S. House to talk with Jamie Herrera, Washington State Congresswoman per her invitation!






Why is every MOM a great advocate?
Because we all share the common goal.....
just as the cupcake says, our goal is to

"SAVE THE CHILDREN"
and set them up for success in their lives.




Day Three...here we COME! 











No comments:

Post a Comment