Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day 1: Mom Congress...ADVENTUROUS


Hello, Chicago! Thanks for the Dunkin Donuts coffee that help keep me awake after two hours of sleep. My kind-of-town! Hugs and love to my Chicago family and friends.




The word to describe Georgetown University...HISTORY! Over 200 years of education.  I can't wait to explore this beautiful campus..so rich in blossoming spring life, gorgeous buildings and decor, bustling with college life and MOM CONGRESS.



Dinner with the delegates was overwhelming...it has been fun and challenging meeting so many new people. Trying to remember EVERYTHING and EVERYONE is the biggest hurtle.  I find that I am associating the state name with a face and not their name! I wonder how long it will take for me to learn them all....

We had the honor of listening to Rob Manuel of Georgetown University and Marguerite Roza from Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation...and fellow Washingtonian.

Marguerite Roza spoke of
4 Go-To Items
as Moms, Teachers, and Parents to focus on:

1.  The need for a Teacher Evaluation Standards System:
to help identify ineffective teachers and find out what makes teachers EFFECTIVE.

2.  Get engaged in the budget decisions..what is driving them and what are the costs. Just because someone says "we can't"...find out if that is truly a fact or a belief.

3.  Common Core Standards
Most states have adopted them.....now they need to be implemented.

4. Pay attention to what is happening OUT of school in your communities.


A beautiful School Seal on the fireplace where we ate dinner. 1789..WOW! I want to soak in all of the history of this place.



The wonderful MOM CONGRESS goodie bag we received today....I hope my adventurous day ends with the delivery of my luggage from Seattle.
I can't wait to see what tomorrow's word will be :)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! An old teacher once told me when I was very little "if you can read, you can do anything. It sparks creativity and, when needed you can always read the instructions"It was brilliant and instilled a love of reading for me to this day. I especially appreciated #1 above-kudos, Ms Roza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome piece of advice, Shari! We need to lay a solid foundation in our children's education....that leads to success and a better nation!

    ReplyDelete