Monday, March 7, 2011

What parents want from their child's teacher....

I have the pleasure this week of sitting down with my preschool parents in conferences and reviewing how their child's year in preschool has been going.  It is something that I look forward to every year.  It is a look into the partnership between our program and it's families that it serves.  It is wonderful to see when it aligns...the results are shown in the children. I also see conference week as a time of self-reflection on the program that I am teaching.  If there is an area in development that I see a trend in...lows or highs....I know where I need to focus on. 

Most importantly, I feel that what parents want from their teacher is to know that the teacher LOVES their child, REJOICES in their successes, UNDERSTANDS their areas that need to be worked on and the teacher ENJOYS what they do.  Each child that enters the classroom is wearing an invisible sign that says, "I am special, so please love me."  This tender sentence follows the children whether they are washing their hands, lining up, participating in a craft, sitting in circle time, playing at recess, cleaning up, praying, learning and growing. 

EACH child is special and needs to feel loved.....taking the extra time to get down on their level, rejoicing in their accomplishments BIG or small, giving words of affirmation and praise, high fives, hugs, and connecting with the children in conversation..truly listening. 

If each child that comes through the doors of education can walk out feeling that their teacher truly LOVED them, then we can certainly say, "Well done!"      

No comments:

Post a Comment