Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Day 3 MOM CONGRESS....the word of the day is AMAZING!

Mom Congress Day Three...it is the action-packed AMAZING day!




U.S. Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan spoke to the Mom Congress and answered questions about the nation's education.

Highlights:

*There is a great urgency for education to get better.
The United States has dropped from #1 to #9 in just a decade of college graduates globally.

So...what are the goals during this time of real challenges?

1.  Expand access to Early Education

He identified THIS as being the best investment and chance for success.  AMEN!!! (My personal passion)

2.  The need of K-12th grade reform

Many states have "dumbed down" standards.
The US is investing 4 billion in school improvements.

3. Invest more in parents

We need parent engagement and parents to demand BETTER for their children.
THAT makes the difference in the leading nations of graduates.

4.  Fix the "No Child Left Behind" Law

This led to the narrowing of school curriculum

5.  Get back to the "well-rounded curriculum"

Congress invests 1 billion to help this....


The GOAL:
We need to increase students that go to higher education.

HOW???

*Simplify the PELL GRANT Form (30% shorter)
*Invest in Community Colleges
*Support the INCOME BASE REPAYMENT:  After ten years of working as a teacher or public service job, your college debt is ERASED!
*Support the STEM Fields: Science, Technology, Engineering and Math

Bottom line: PARENTS NEED TO BE THE VOICE OF KIDS!

I have resources and information for ALL of the above.


My meeting with Washington State Congresswoman, Jamie Herrera was AMAZING! She inspired my word of the day. AMAZING!
She talked to me like a friend and listened to to my passions for Washington State.
I left my meeting with her inspired EVEN MORE about change and bettering our children's education.
She loves our State and wants to support our families!




I enjoyed walking through the Longworth House of Congress and seeing all of the Representatives.




Longworth House Building


Our BEAUTIFUL Capital Building


All of  sudden, the security closed down the whole backside of the Capital.  Security and Police with BIG guns came out EVERYWHERE.......soon after, I saw Black GMCs leave the back of the building. When I asked what was going on, a guard winked and said, "A head of state was leaving the building." Hmmm....I wonder WHO??






Mom Congress farewell dinner at HOOK....


My dear Minnesota Mom friends...I love Midwest roots!


Mom Congress Menu just for us :)  Fillet Mignon was YUM!




The west coast moms...
Washington, Oregon and California
We are excited to work together!


\

Mom Congress...last day is tomorrow.
I am sad to leave this amazing experience....but am excited to share with you as I return to Washington, all of the info and resources given.
I miss my family, school friends and PRESCHOOL KIDS...I will see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment